29 May 2007
Vegan Buttered Almond Cake
For Scott's 31st Birthday he wanted a buttered almond cake like he used to get before he was vegan. I used Kittee's Strawberry Kake recipe and subbed a few things. Here is the updated recipe.
* 3 cups unbleached white flour
* 1 3/4 cups unbleached granulated sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 3/4 cups vanilla almond milk
* 1/4 cup amaretto syrup
* 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 2/3 cup canola oil
* 2 TBSP almond extract
* 1/4 cup almond paste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans (these stick sometimes, so you might want to put some parchment circles on the bottom of each pan, but I never do).
2. Mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat well until smooth (I use my kitchenaid stand mixer).
4. Divide the batter evenly among the two pans.
5. Check for done after 30-45 minutes with a toothpick (I think my oven might be under temp, so watch carefully! It should come clean when you poke it into the very center of each cake. (but watch closely so it doesn't brown too much.)
Almond Buttercream Frosting
* 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup vegan margarine
* 1 tsp almond extract
* 4 cups powdered sugar
* 2-3 TBSP vanilla almond milk
1. Cream margarine and shortening until light and fluffy
2. Add almond extract beat until combined
3. Add powdered sugar (one cup at a time and beat until combined well)
4. Add almond milk and beat until light and fluffy.