Yesterday after a very exhausting bike ride scavenger hunt, I came home and made Kittee's No Bake Strawberry Pie. It has to sit overnight so I had a slice for brunch! You can find the recipe in Kittee's Papa Tofu cookbook which can be purchased on her blog.
What You Need:
- A pre-baked and cooled pie crust. I got mine at Whole Foods.
- 1/4-1/3 tub Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- Approximately 1 1/2 quarts of fresh strawberries (enough to fill an entire pie plate, plus an extra cup to mash), washed and with the hulls cut off. Cut the tops as straight as you can so the strawberries stand up easily in your pie plate.
- 1 cup unbleached granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Mash up enough strawberries to fill one cup. Throw them in your food processor and pulse them a bit, go slow so you don't end up with soup. (I always make a cup of "strawberry soup" and then chop up 5 strawberries into little cubes)
- In a medium saucepan, blend together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and mashed berries.
- Over medium high heat, cook stirring all the while until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat so you don't get splattered and keep stirring for one minute. Remove from heat and cool.
- While the jam you made cools, stir the cream cheeze until soft, and spread it onto the bottom and sides of the cooled pie crust.
- Top the cream cheeze with your strawberries, pointy side up. I started in the middle and worked my away around in circles. You will want to place them along the edges too. I found that putting the tallest in the center is best, because the jam is deepest there. You might have to rearrange them a bit to get it to look the way you want, but don't worry about making it look perfect since the jam covers up a lot and fills in any gaps (especially on the sides).
- Pour the cooled jam evenly over the whole thing and refrigerate several hours until set.